Apr 13, 2016
017 - The GRAW Special with Christian Allen
Christian Allen, CEO of Serellan
LLC and lead designer for Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (amongst
many other things) joins us for a chat about GRAW, achievements,
game development, and lots more. Oh, and Crandy finishes GRAW
Show notes are available
Please give us a rating or
iTunes and in your favourite podcast application, it
will really help us spread the word and make the show a success,
and is a free, easy way to support the show!
Contact us on Twitter
@zedtozed or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org, we'd love
to hear from you! Also check out the
Zed to Zed Podcast
TrueAchievements and zzUrbanSpaceman's blog.
Opening/closing music: "Jive
Bot" by Jake Kaufman from the game Mighty
Switch Force! developed
and published by WayForward Technologies
"Game Cool Dubstep Mode Logo" by Sparximer
All audio production and podcast
backend support provided by Tarragon Allen.
Show notes by
Brandon Fream aka "Freamwhole"
- TrueAchievements - Xbox
Tarragon Allen aka
"zzUrbanSpaceman" - TrueAchievements -
Randy aka "Crandy" -
Christian Allen of
0:00:00 - Intro
0:02:52 - Talking Zeds: Guest
0:51:27 - Talking Zeds:
Terminology - Cycle: Moving up and down four levels (In ranked
- Invisible XP points
on ELO system, not TrueSkill
- Designed before Xbox and Microsoft knew what
achievements were going to be - Gary Stelmack driving the show on achievements
- Originally layered achievements for the
leaderboard - before 50 achievement limit
- Shipped with 890GS
time doing a ranking system in Ghost Recon
up like Chess (LINK)
Terminology – Blocking: Intentionally trying to prevent others from
climbing a leaderboard and preventing others from earning the
& Lynch Blocking Clan
Game Of The Year Win and Worst Achievement Awards
1:07:15 - How Have You Seen
Achievements Change and How Much Do You Hate Them?
1:14:10 - Are You Surprised At
The Lengths People Go Through For Achievements?
1:30:02 - Microtransactions
according to Christian
1:43:40 - Voice Acting in
1:47:45 - Talking Zeds: The GRAW
5.25” Floppy Disk
The GRAW Journal
traditional cycles for for team/solo leaderboards
GRAW is still possible! (just extremely time consuming)
to complete GRAW ~five months playing eight hours a day
- Christian Allen thought "achievements are
stupid" on original pitch from Microsoft
consistently winning worst achievements ever
was not supposed to be eight
achievements have become
- Christian Allen on gaming habits of a game
- Arcade games
- Fallout 3/NV/4
- "I'll get to it after
- Crandy's post GRAW ratio dive
Horse and Me 2
- Hannah Montana
- Monster High
- Barbie and Her Sisters Puppy Rescue
- Christian Allen on Takedown: Red Sabre and
- Gaming nostalgia
- Social media harassment
- Rainbow Six Siege
- Ubisoft corporate training
- "you-be-soft" not "oo-be-soft"
- Toilet logo
nostalgia in GRAW
- Dodge® cars are good cover in GRAW
2:37:25 - Talking Zeds: Zombie
- Zombie books
- Threat matrix (includes zombie apocalypse
2:40:46 - GRAW IS
days 21 hours 29 minutes later
2:43:40 - Shovelware Cemetery:
- Hotel Blind
- Possible future Goat Simulator
- Origin of "Serellan"
3:10:10 - Shovelware Cemetery:
like a ten year old game
many big maps
use rockets akimbo
- Gunplay, damage and movement is “unrealistic”,
3:15:43 - Talking Zeds: Wrap
- Brandon offering guided tours thru
offering to play GRAW 2 (More Drinking!)
3:17:01 - Housekeeping and
3:27:11 - Listener
iTunes Canada feedback from
- AB0MINAT10N: Clarify power brick tangent from
short, throw out the power brick not from your region on your
import console, and just use an in-country power
& Brandon explain how not to fix a RROD…
- Sinicide IiI
- Brandon apologizes for butchering the
do you release the show?
- Wednesday night Australia / Wednesday morning
Slingo: Tarragon makes a guest appearance in
- Griffey95: Comprehensive list of demo games
Fu Panda: Legend of the Legendary Legends
or Alive 5
- Killer Instinct
a ZedtoZed list?
- Montana97: Do I need to eject external HDD
before disconnecting them?
- Unknown if you pull it while in use.
Maybe turn off the console before you remove.
Editor’s note: generally it’s
probably fine to pull it whenever, but you may cause some hiccups
if it’s saving a game at the time. Note that game saves are always
stored on the internal drive and the cloud though.
- Facial: Favorite game in the GRAW series?
Excited for Wild lands?
- Brandon has never played a GRAW
has only played the original GRAW (No substitutes)
is still out for Wild lands, but skeptical.
give a company money in advance for 2 years in the future.
- xXxB1G311xXx: That guy?
- Please stop mentioning GRAW? (Drink)…
has uneven Gamerscore (So you have to do the leaderboard to be
- Salsbar: How can I get the leaderboard
achievements to even up my gamerscore?
Mundi: Would you recommend I try for the leaderboard achievements
at this point? How much did it cost you for the gold
says “No”. Cost of 8 accounts with Gold. So apx $80 a
- jjaldana: The leaderboard achievements takes
about 6 months of playing all day everyday. This account for 8
hours of sleep days.
- YODA12320: Yes what other than graw do you talk
- Listen to past Podcast episodes.
B1G3L1 IXI: Since GRAW is rated T for Teen, when does your mom say
you will be allowed to play games that are rated M?
- Randy’s mom will allow him to play rated M
games if he chooses, since he is such a big boy.
- People are still pulling a Fream!
(Marknocturnal, Damien, WebChimp UK: did it in Roblox and Project
3:50:51 - News
3:59:03 - Game Delays and
4:00:50 - Zombie News
4:02:52 - Outro
Glossary of Xbox Gamerscore and
achievement jargon and terms: